Do I Need to Lodge a Tax Return While Living Overseas?

Do I Need to Lodge a Tax Return While Living Overseas?

One of the most common questions our tax accountants receive is “Do I need to lodge a tax return while living overseas?” This seems like an easy question that should come with a yes/no answer, but of course, it’s Australian tax, which means that there’s no simple answer!

Am I An Australian Tax Resident?

The first step is to determine whether or not the Australian Taxation Office considers you an Australian resident. You will be considered a resident if one or more of the following is true:

• You reside in Australia
• Your permanent home is in Australia
• You have been in Australia for more than half of the financial year
• You or your spouse are a government employee working at an Australian post overseas

If you meet ANY of the above criteria, you will be required to complete a tax return.

What if I’m a Non-Resident for Australian Tax Purposes?

If you’re a non-resident, you’ll typically have one of two obligations to fulfil. Since you have an Australian tax file number, the ATO will be expecting a return of one sort or another from you. You’ll need to either lodge a tax return or a ‘Return Not Necessary’ form for the year in question.

It’s easy to assume that you don’t need to do anything whilst you’re living and working overseas as an expat, however nothing could be further from the truth! At AIM S Australia, our accountants in Melbourne can provide advice on tax returns in addition to providing individual tax preparation services. Contact our tax accountants today to find out how we can help you.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *